- Home /
- Dr Bronners Shikakai Peppermint 355ml Hand Soap
OTHER AVAILABLE OPTIONS:
Dr Bronners Shikakai Peppermint 355ml Hand Soap Certified organic to USDA National Organic Program standards, Dr. Bronner's Fair Trade & Organic Pump Soaps are smooth and luxurious with no synthetic detergents or preservatives.
Organic shikakai comes from the seed pods of the small South Asian treeAcadia Concinna and has been used for millennia in India as a gentle conditioning cleanser for both skin and hair. We extract the organic shikakai in organic sugar and organic grape juice and combine it with our unsurpassed pure-castile liquid soap base for a rich, emollient lather and a moisturising after feel.
Dr Bronners Fair Trade & Organic Shikakai Pump Soaps are excellent for washing hands and face, and they come in a convenient pump for placing on your bathroom sink or in the shower. The organic shikakai powder and organic sucrose in Dr Bronners Pump Soaps not only make them great facial cleansers, but also perfect shampoos. When using any of Dr Bronners soaps to wash your hair, make sure you follow up with an acidic conditioning rinse, such as Dr Bronners Fair Trade & Organic Citrus Conditioning Hair Rinse.
Dr Bronners An Overview of Soapmaking
Soaps have been made for millennia. Aside from making fire and cooking food, “saponifying” oil and fat into soap is one of the oldest and simplest chemical reactions known to humankind. In fact, the first soaps were accidentally made by fat dripping into the ashes of cooking fires.
Soap is made by saponifying a fat or oil with an alkali. A fat or oil is a “triglyceride,” which means that three fatty acids of various carbon lengths are attached to a glycerin backbone. The alkali is either sodium hydroxide (for bars) or potassium hydroxide (for liquids), made by running electricity through salt water.
The saponification process is a simple one-step reaction with no waste generated: the glycerin is split off from the fatty acids, and the fatty acids combine with the sodium or potassium to form soap, while the hydroxide forms water. The result is soap, glycerin and water (no alkali remains in Dr Bronner soaps).
Quality soapmaking consists in great part of choosing the right proportions of the right oils. Coconut oil is very high lathering, but can be drying. Olive oil gives a really soft and luxuriant lather, but in small amounts. By using both coconut and olive oils in the right ratio, Dr Bronner’s unsurpassed soaps offer the best of both worlds: high lather with superb softness on the skin. To top it off, Dr Bronner soaps also contain hemp and jojoba oils, which mirror the natural oils in the skin’s sebum, thus imparting a wonderful after feel once the soaps are washed away.
Other Ways Dr Bronner’s Makes Higher-Quality Soaps
* Unlike most commercial soapmakers, who distill the glycerin out of their soaps to sell separately, Dr Bronners retain it in their soaps for its superb moisturising qualities.
* Dr Bronners super-fat their bar soaps for a milder, smoother lather.
* Dr Bronners use natural vitamin E from sunflower seeds and citric acid from fermented tapioca to protect freshness.
* Dr Bronners do not add any chelating agents, dyes, whiteners or synthetic fragrances.
* Dr Bronners use pure and powerful high-quality certified organic essential oils.
* Dr Bronners liquid soaps are three times more concentrated than most so-called “liquid soaps” on the market, and they are only a few percent away from being a solid, which saves on packaging materials.
* Dr Bronners soaps are a superb value, costing less than less-concentrated, inferior detergent body-wash “liquid soaps.”
* Dr Bronners soaps are most popular for at-home washing, but they are also the soap of choice for many campers and hikers, as they are biodegradable and nature-friendly.
* Dr Bronners also use better packaging; Dr Bronners plastic cylinder bottles are made from 100% post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic.
Organic Sucrose*, Organic White Grape Juice, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Shikakai Powder, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil*, Organic Spearmint Oil, Citric Acid, Tocopherol.
* CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS
** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin.
Although our ingredients are checked on a regular audit basis, some may change unexpectedly. Please check the label before use.
Check items to add to the cart or select all